The Hall School Logo Sv

Home → Our Vision

School History

School History 2
School History 1
Picture1

The Hall School traces its roots back to 1889 when the Reverend Francis Wrottesley set up his own school, primarily to educate his own growing family of boys. He took in other paying pupils and so the Belsize School for Boys was born. He sold it in 1898 to the Reverend Douglas Marshall when pupil numbers had sunk to 13.

Marshall was a dynamic head, numbers steadily increased and in 1905 with pupil numbers up to 50 new premises were clearly required. Marshall arranged a building exchange with a girls school at The Hall Crossfield Road whose numbers were dwindling. Marshall left The Hall, as it now was, in 1909 when numbers were up to 100. He sold the school to Edward Montauban (later, one of the founders of Stowe School) who continued the development of The Hall over the next 10 years. 1920 saw The Hall pass into the hands of Robin Gladstone the nephew of Gerard Wathen and it was Wathen who, over the next 30 years really established The Hall as the leading North London prep school. The Hall became a charitable trust in 1952 and in 1955 Raymond Cooper its first appointed non-proprietorial head.

HEADMASTERS OF THE HALL:

1889 – 1899

Francis Wrottesley 

1899 – 1909

Douglas Marshall

1909 – 1920

Edward Montauban

1924 – 1955

Gerard Wathen

1920 – 1929

Robin Gladstone

1955 – 1976

Raymond Cooper

1976 – 1991

Paddy Heazell

1991 – 1992

Nicholas Coates

1992 – 1993

Dicky Dawe

1993 – 2003

Paul Ramage

2003 – 2005

Garry Pierson

2005 – 2006

Paul Ramage

2006 – 2013

Philip Lough

2013 –

Christopher Godwin

SENIOR SCHOOL

23 Crossfield Road, London NW3 4NU
Office: 020 7722 1700
office@hallschool.co.uk

MIDDLE SCHOOL

69 Belsize Park, London NW3 4EH
Office: 020 7722 5456
junior@hallschool.co.uk

JUNIOR SCHOOL

69 Belsize Park, London NW3 4EH
Office: 020 7722 5456
junior@hallschool.co.uk
All rights reserved. Site by graphicdesigner2b